Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Beautiful Reign

I’m sitting on my bed overlooking the lush greenness just outside my window as the rain comes pouring down.  It’s one of those cocoon-like mornings where knowing I don’t have to go out makes me feel even warmer and drier.  I can feel the seeds I planted yesterday softening, and the lettuce that’s been garnering its pre-bolt strength deciding maybe it’s ok to hold off now for a few days. 
Lettuce give thanks...
Good rain softens everything.  It’s one of those elements that remind us of the power of nature.  When dry spells hit, irrigation efforts can only do so much because the resident sun has the momentum going, the plants weak under its influence.  But a big cloud-filled rainy day awakens every fiber of a plants being.  Color returns, power builds, roots exert a good long stretch that’s welcomed, no longer blocked.  Looking out there, I can almost hear the collective peaceful sigh, a slow and steady out-breath releasing all pressure and tension.
I do what I can for my garden, but I have to say, knowing there’s a greater power who’s much more effective reminds me that I’m a steward, assisting nature in her greater design.

No comments:

Post a Comment