Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Real Education

I was delighted to come home to find these books awaiting me. Most of what I learn about wild edibles comes from friends in the know, but every now and again I learn about good written resources and seek them out.

Two new (and awesome) books nestled in among friends: strawberries, curly dock, wild onions, and chickweed.
Titles:  Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas, Ph.D; and Nature's Garden by Samuel Thayer

I became interested in wild edibles after a near panic attack.  One of my fifth graders, who was a big fan of Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, was presenting his research report on survival skills. When he got to the part about food, he reached into a brown paper bag and stuffed his mouth with dandelions.  My immediate thought was "CALL THE NURSE!" but as I had learned with kids, it's best if the adult keeps her cool.  He took a big swallow after chewing for what seemed an eternity, his classmates watching open mouthed with eyes like saucers.  "See!"  he said, "You can eat 'em!"

"So you're sure about that, right?" I asked.  "And your mother knows you were going to do that, right?"  I could just hear the phone call that night if he said no. "Yea, she knows," he replied.  "But it was my dad who thought I should do a demo." I made a mental note to remember this lack of communication come parent teacher conference time.

I'm sure I had heard long ago that dandelions were edible, but why would someone want to eat them?  As my kids'll tell you, they taste good, that's why.

drying, ready to be dipped in batter.

  Just be careful when you go picking!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment