Friday, April 29, 2011

Thank you, Mr. Wm. Carlos Wms.

As I write this, my family is watching a Voyager episode where Tuvak is trying to tell a hysterical woman who's in love with him that getting emotional will just make things worse.  He can't love her, cuz, well, he's a Vulcan and can't feel that kind of thing, and is bewildered by her "unfettered emotion."

Do they have poetry on Vulcan?  Here come the trekkies to fill me in...good thing that today I set my comments setting on "view comments prior to posting."  I wouldn't want accusations of my idiocy made public.  Yea, I've got the power.  And yea, I know he's visiting from the next generation, so I do have a bit of the Star Trek vibe going.

But without emotion, what happens to poetry?  Isn't that the point?  The best poems for me are the ones that visit me as I live my life.  One tapped me on the shoulder today as I guiltily nibbled on a few strawberries.  Based heavily on William Carlos William's "This is just to say," I came here:

This is just to say…
I have eaten
the strawberries
that were ripe on the vine

and which
you were probably
hoping
to snack on

Forgive me
they were exquisite
so warm
and so juicy
........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment